I saw Alien: Covenant on opening weekend in heavy anticipation of seeing how it would connect Prometheus to the original Alien movie. I was also told it would make things more transparent and it would be really scary. Scary I am not sure about but definitely suspenseful with non-stop action. In typical Ridley Scott fashion it was dark with lots of fighting.
What I really like about the film is that they didn’t get too crazy with new technology. I always hate when you see recent movies that are supposed to precede a famous movie that was from 20 years ago and now the technology looks so much better (Star Wars). So the new Androids are upgraded, but still aren’t necessarily better, the guns aren’t better, etc.
What the movie does do well is close the chapter on Prometheus. What it doesn’t do yet is tie into the original Alien movie. It doesn’t really explain the Corporation and how it continues it’s plan. It doesn’t explain how the Aliens continue to expand. It does explain how they evolve into their current state.
I definitely recommend it for any Alien fan. You have to watch them all out. It definitely does a great job of making more sense out of the Prometheus movie. There are lots of great Easter eggs in this movies. Go check it out unless you have no interest in this series.
I give the movie a 3 erection out of 5 rating.
Before you watch this movie, here are a few things you should do first:
- Rewatch Prometheus if it has been awhile
- Rewatch this video about how David was created: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ7E7Qp-s-8
- Watch this Short on the creation of Walter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4Cmf4BuNgg
- Watch this short called the Last Supper: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkXgRlRao5I
- Watch this short called The Crossing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeMVrnYNwus
SPOILERS (Read at own risk)
There are weird things for me.
- It appears Daniels figure out it is not Walter way before when stitching and other things happen after the fight?
- Why does David help kill the creature?
- Why did all those people turn into statues and not just become Aliens? Remember in the first movie how the guy becomes infected and just disintegrates into the water?
- So where do we go from here? Do we go to the new colony and find out if David incubates Tennessee and Daniels or some of the new colonists?